Prof. Johan Galtung, the Norwegian sociologist/mathematician, founder of the academic discipline of Peace and Conflict Studies, speaks candidly on:
- The world after the Coronavirus/COVID-19 crisis
- The importance of teaching peace and resolving conflict between individuals
- How to teach young children peace
- How to keep our children from violent acts resulting from electronic video-games
- His expectations about the fall of the U.S. empire, not the U.S. Republic
- The importance of Islam and how to use it to promote peace and resolve conflict
- The importance of “Peace Journalism” in promoting peace and resolving disputes between parties
- Rising powers
Johan Galtung, a professor of peace studies, dr hc mult, is founder of TRANSCEND International and rector of TRANSCEND Peace University. He was awarded among others the 1987 Right Livelihood Award, known as the Alternative Nobel Peace Prize. Galtung has mediated in over 150 conflicts in more than 150 countries, and written more than 170 books on peace and related issues, 96 as the sole author. More than 40 have been translated to other languages, including 50 Years-100 Peace and Conflict Perspectives published by TRANSCEND University Press. His book, Transcend and Transform, was translated to 25 languages. He has published more than 1700 articles and book chapters and over 500 Editorials for TRANSCEND Media Service. More information about Prof. Galtung and all of his publications can be found at transcend.org/galtung.
This article originally appeared on Transcend Media Service (TMS) on 13 Jul 2020.